PROTAGONISTI: Julia Musariri Medical Doctor in Zimbabwe

 Julia Musariri, Medical Doctor at St. Albert’s Mission Hospital in Zimbabwe
(extract from LOREEROL: il blog di Loredana De Vitis “scrittora” - www.loredanadevitis.it)

At the age of 17, I had never met a doctor in my life, only a nun nurse at the dispensary who knew how to perform many procedures. One day two Italian nurses arrived at our mission, just to polish their spoken English. I was told that they were going to “All Souls Mission Hospital” to work as nurses, because that is what they were – missionaries. They would be working with female doctors who were already there: Dr Luisa Maria Guidotti, Dr Mariaelena Pezzarezzi and Dr Maria Grazia Buggiani and Sr Caterina Savini, who was a nurse. They belonged to AFMM (Associazione Femminile Medico Missionaria).
This group of women, who wanted to give service to my people having left their comfortable homes, intrigued me. The two Marias eventually left for their mission and I lost track of them for a long time. I was an average student in Form Four then. Between 1972 and 1974 I trained as a primary school teacher at United College of Education. I completed my course with flying colours and I got a post for teaching at a mixed race school in Esigodini Matabeleland, where most pupils had a diverse history of harassment in their families. They were a special group of children, who played tricks with teachers. A coloured child – Heath was his name – kept annoying the rest of the class, and would say “who gave me the rudeness I have’ my black mother or my white father”. One day, the boy had pulled out pages from his and his neighbour’s homework book. I got rather angry; I punished him so harshly that afterwards he was very afraid even of just being near me. I regretted my impulsiveness. I asked for forgiveness, but that did not mend my relationship with the child. I then told myself that was not my profession.

I always wanted to be a nurse, though my parents were not keen. They told me that “Uniforms are white and clean, but the work is very dirty. Besides, nurses are women who are morally depraved”. However, despite my parents’ opposition, I decided to make an application for training as a nurse.
We were in the middle of the civil war. In June 1976, Luisa Guidotti Mistrali gets arrested by the Rhodesian police for having treated a supposed wounded guerriglia fighter, and she risks being executed. She is then released, also thanks to significant pressure by the Vatican, and resumes her work at the All Souls. But on the 6th of July 1979, on her way back from accompanying a pregnant woman with a complicated labour to the Nyadiri hospital, she is stopped at a roadblock at Lot and fatally wounded.
It was a tragedy. The poor people of Mutoko lost the only doctor who understood them and was serving them passionately. I resolved I wanted to be part of the AFMM, so that I could serve the sick like she did. “All Souls” was out of bounds, because of the war. Letters for Luisa were taken to Rome by the late Dr Elizabeth Tarira and Dr Rosalba Sangiorgi. As they looked through these letters, they found mine. Meanwhile, I had left teaching and had started training as a nurse at Harare Central Hospital, now Sally Mugabe Hospital, in September 1979, when I received their reply that only said “If you are still of the same mind you can come to Rome”. I resigned from the nursing school and left for Rome, though I had done very well in my exams at school of nursing. I opted to go to Rome to be a member of the AFMM in 1980, on the 3rd March. At home they were euphoric, everyone had voted for the first time and independence from Britain was on the doorstep.
In Rome I met the foundress; she said she would have liked me to enter medical school, but I declined. So she sent me to nursing school. After three years, I passed with very good marks. In 1985 I went back to Zimbabwe to work at different mission hospitals; I briefly joined St Albert’s in 1985 before going to Chitsungo Mission Hospital. Working as a nurse gave me great satisfaction and fulfillment, but something was lacking, the ability to help mothers with complicated labour. I could not perform Caesarean sections and we had to transfer all complicated maternity cases to Harare Central Hospital. In 1992, just as I was about to go on annual leave, I was invited to Rome by Dr Adele. She suggested again I get into the Faculty of Medicine. This time I agreed. I was older than any of the other students at Tor Vergata University of Rome. I enrolled for the entrance examination. Among a thousand and more candidates, the university could only take 150. I checked on the result sheet on the notice board, I was 152. But some students renounced, so I was called and I could start training to become a woman doctor.
In the past medicine was considered a career for males. In our patriarchal society it is still common to think that some professions are only for men; this included the medical one. However, meeting the women doctors of AFMM had a profound influence on me and led me to believe that women and men have equal opportunities. They spurred me on to face the difficulties of language, culture, long hours of travel to university, cold winters and hot humid summers. It was a life changing experience, it completely shifted my mindset. I would like the same to happen for many parents of daughters. Today I can educate young people to pursue their dreams – the sky cannot be the limit anymore,  we can go beyond. It is possible for women to outshine anybody.
I entered medical school at the age of 29 years. Ten years older than any other student, youngsters who had just come out of high school. It is no wonder they would ask me where I had been, being that old. Italians are patient with those who learn their language. The first friend I made was called Sonia, a red haired and freckled girl, outgoing and very helpful. She introduced me to her 5 friends, Flavia, two Monicas and two Robertas; they adopted me in their group and always shared their notes with me. I did not feel the dreaded isolation and segregation. I worked hard to get my degree in the 6 years required. I was an average student, but that did not worry me. The important thing for me was being able to go back and give service to the many women and children who had never passed through the hands of a doctor in the missions. I thought that if gifted young people like Luisa Guidotti, from a well to do family, could leave all her comforts to come to rural Zimbabwe to take care of our sick people, why could I not do the same? I graduated on the 13th of April 2001. I returned to Zimbabwe to do an internship at Harare Central Hospital. After I completed my two years, I was posted to St Albert’s Mission Hospital.

I was now giving medical service. I could perform surgery, especially Caesarean sections. I no longer needed to transfer patients who had complications of labour to Harare. Dr Neela Naha, a gynecologist and obstetrician, also mentored me to handle complex cases. Some colleagues, whilst I was in Italy, had advised me to get married in Italy, get Italian citizenship and stay there. But the truth is I would not exchange what I have been able to do with anything else. I am still at St Albert’s Mission Hospital, doing Out Patients consultations, while the young doctors do the surgeries and all the other work. The Diocese requested me to be its Chinhoyi diocese’s hospitals coordinator as well as being the Medical Superintendent of St Albert’s.
As doctors, we need all the tools of the trade to provide the best solution for the sick. But when I look at our hospital, I get discouraged and disheartened, because the tools of trade are obsolete. My collaborators and colleagues would like to go digital in all spheres: Operation theatre, Radiology, Patient register, laboratory, laundry machines etc etc. But then I see the laundry, with the washing machine and iron roller that don’t even work anymore; the anesthetic machine that the surgeon is constantly complaining about; the mortuary that cannot even manage to keep the bodies cold. The list is endless. The many well wishers we had in the early 2000 for HIV/AIDS programme have switched to other districts; the AFMM has elderly doctors who need care and are unable to fundraise like they did in the past. So we continue to use what any well meaning young doctor would rather not, because the resources do not allow us to acquire new ones. Sadly, we have relied heavily on external donor funding, facilitated by the fact that we had some expatriate missionaries in AFMM working with us who could raise awareness and support St Albert’s cause. Their relatives and friends would fundraise for their work. That is why we still have the machines they bought in the 1990s.
After Dr Elizabeth Tarira and Dr Neela noted the prevalence of complicated labour outcomes, they came up with the idea of improving maternal health. They built a mother’s waiting home, which accommodated 45 pregnant women, but they had to extend it to the capacity of 105 pregnant women. Women could come and stay near the hospital in the last 2 to 3 weeks of their pregnancies (in order to avoid last minute transport issues), for speedy assistance and have timely surgical intervention in time to ensure the wellbeing of both mother and baby. In the district of Centenary there were young women living with HIV and pregnant, vescico-vaginal fistulas, advanced cervical and breast cancers; interventions were needed for all these conditions. Prevention of Mother To Child Transmission was introduced by Dr Tarira with the help of the Italian NGO Cesvi from Bergamo, using single dose Nevirapine (used to treat HIV patients, ed). Takunda, the first baby whose mother volunteered to take the Nevirapine was born Negative; he is now 20 years old. That is an incredible milestone for St Albert’s. The triple therapy for the positive women was introduced in 2004 and we then introduced treatment of their male partners too. Dr Neela did screening of cervical cancer through Visual Inspection with acetic acid (VIA); we have now added a micro-camera with the help of Mr Darrell Ward and Dr Lowell Schnipper from “Better Healthcare for Africa” this was a significant a step ahead. Today cervical cancer and breast cancer screening  programmes have been rolled out to all districts by the government.
My work as a Mission Hospital Doctor in rural Zimbabwe gave me great satisfaction. I feel that God is in it. Otherwise I would have been one of the many women of my age who got married at very young ages and achieved nothing with their primary or secondary education. I also am indebted to my parents who sacrificed a lot of their time and money in order to make a difference with their 13 children. In my retirement I wanted to turn to farming. I have started a poultry project for eggs, a fish project, a goat rearing project, revived the piggery and planted an area of near hectare with caster beans for sale, in order to get some much needed funds for the hospital. The projects are at the start but I am optimistic about them.
Personally I think if we empower the girl child, we will have gone a long way. Girls of today will be the mothers of tomorrow, in charge of children’s education. They will also be the professional women of the future. It is painful to see young girls becoming mothers due to diverse circumstances. Child rights, particularly the girl child, are a crucial pivot towards achieving the emancipation of the African (Zimbabwean) woman.

Commenti

Post popolari in questo blog

Serie "Tesori Nascosti dei Manzonauti" - quarto episodio

stORNELLI da ORNELLA

Apertori di brecce, saltatori di ostacoli, corrieri ad ogni costo, atleti di pace.....